Our program, coordinated by the University of Calgary STEM Fellowship Branch, offers students the unique opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research at a University of Calgary laboratory. This program will take place for five days during spring break and will enable students to explore the world of research, be immersed in the process of scientific inquiry, and ask questions about possible paths to this field. Participants will engage in activities including tours of first-class research facilities, introductions to basic techniques and experiments using state-of-the-art equipment, shadowing of lab personnel and attending lab meetings, seminars and faculty presentations. Students will be mentored one-on-one by graduate students and will be involved in the hands-on experiments that their mentors are working on.
Please see this link for a list of the projects that our participating labs are currently working on. On the application form, students can rank the projects in which they are most interested and we will do our best to place students in one of their top three choices.
- Applicants must meet the following criteria in order for consideration: Must be enrolled in a Canadian high school in grade 10, 11 or 12
- Must demonstrate an interest in STEM research
- Must complete application form and submit all required documentation prior to the deadline
- Must be at least 15 years of age as of March 1st, 2018
The application consists of three short answer questions and submission of a transcript and letter of reference from someone who can speak about you as a learner and a person. Possible referees could include a teacher, coach, or someone in the community who you’ve worked with.
Below is a link to our application form – https://goo.gl/forms/Ly8F3Rr0BYvd1ifb2
Applications open on October 30, 2017 and will be open until January 22, 2018 at 11:59 pm MDT. Please click here for our guidebook which has some helpful tips on preparing applications.
Click here for a link to testimonials from students who participated in our 2018 internships program.
|October||Application launches October 30, 2017|
|November/December||Opportunity for applicants to contact University of Calgary STEM Fellowship team with questions on writing a strong application|
|January||Application closes Jan 22, 2018|
|February||Successful interns notified by February 12, 2018|
|March/April||Internships take place over one of:
o March 26-29
o April 2 -6
Students accepted into the program will be responsible for:
- Travel arrangements to and from the lab
- Completing safety courses (if necessary) prior to beginning the internship and following lab safety protocols during the week
- Ensuring completion of safety waiver forms
- Completing a feedback survey following the internship
Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com