2017 Scholarly Writing Challenge
What is the High School Scholarly Writing Challenge?
The challenge provides high school students (grades 10-12 or equivalent) around the world with an opportunity to showcase their original research. The challenge aims to prepare high school students interested in STEM for the world of research and science publishing.
1. To be eligible, participants must be high school students (grades 10-12 or equivalent – inclusive of those who have just graduated grade 9 and grade 12).
2. The submission is the participant’s own original work and has not been previously published.
3. Submissions must be in Word Format and must follow the guidelines below.
4. Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
5. There is no official word limit, but we request you follow the guidelines posted.
6. IB Extended Essays can be submitted, however, one should make sure they fit all the criteria below. IB extended essays must be first marked by IB before being submitted. The challenge is neither partial nor impartial to IB Extended Essay submissions.
7. AP Capstone submissions are allowed and follow similar guidelines to IB extended essay submissions.
8. Collaborations for submissions are allowed with up to two main contributors.
9. Papers must be in English.
The deadline is August 15 at 11:59 pm EST. Reviewing of submissions will occur from August – November and the results of the competition should be posted by late November.
All submissions will be judged by a joint committee of the student editorial board, reviewers, and the scholarly writing challenge team consisting of high school students. Submissions will be judged on the basis of originality and creativity, clarity and organization of writing, and application of scientific concepts.
It is required that submissions include a Title, Authors and any affiliates (for example a mentor at a laboratory). It is also highly recommended that submissions follow all the instructions for Original Articles, Ethical Guidelines, and Article Format, as stated on the STEM Fellowship Journal website.
A $500 prize will be awarded to the best submissions and four certificates for best in the categories of Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Mathematics, Environmental Sciences, and Literature Review as well as annual subscriptions to select journals (can be found in the link below):
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email us.
Click Here to submit your application!