Problem 1: Invent Yourself
“Design a boat that moves only due to the periodical mechanical movements of its internal parts and which only interacts with the environment (air, water) through its stiff hull. Optimise the parameters of your boat for maximum speed.”
I. Phenomenon Demonstration
IYPT 2021 №1 Invent Yourself by ЭйНШтейн https://youtu.be/4HL0pNsh9NY
IYPT 2021 №1 Invent Yourself (4 engines) by ЭйНШтейн https://youtu.be/Ef_i5Rkg6Aw
Пьяные физики на озере без вёсел (Drunken Physicists on a Lake Without Oars)
II. Books, Encyclopedia, Discussion and Forum Posts
- Basic Physics of Rowing http://eodg.atm.ox.ac.uk/user/dudhia/rowing/physics/basics.html#:~:text=For%20boats%2C%20there%20are%20various,energy%20lost%20in%20creating%20waves.
- How Does A Rudder Help In Turning A Ship? By Soumya Chakraborty https://www.marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/rudder-ship-turning/#:~:text=And%20the%20lift%20generated%20
- HYDROFOILS by Tina Rosado https://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/hydrofoil/hydrofoil.html
III. Research Papers
- Boucher, J.-P., Labbé, R., Clanet, C., & Benzaquen, M. (2018). Thin or bulky: Optimal aspect ratios for ship hulls. Physical Review Fluids, 3(7). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevfluids.3.074802
- Casas-Yrurzum, Sergio & Rueda, Silvia & Riera, JoseVicente & Fernández, Marcos. (2012). On the Real-time Physics Simulation of a Speed-boat Motion.. 121-128.