Problem 13: Ponyo's Heat Tube
“A glass tube with a sealed top is filled with water and mounted vertically. The bottom end of the tube is immersed in a beaker of water and a short segment of the tube is heated. Investigate and explain the periodic motion of the water and any vapour bubbles observed.“
I. Phenomenon Demonstration
- (YouTube, 2022). https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rwWUn9Rsd7A
- (Youtube, 2022). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD00BmaRWAU
II. Books, Encyclopedia, Discussion and Forum Posts
- Wikipedia (2022). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection
- COMSOL. https://www.comsol.com/model/free-convection-in-a-water-glass-195
III. Research Papers
- C. Paz, M. Conde, J. Porteiro, and M. Concheiro, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 89, 770 (2015).
- A. Surtaev, V. Serdyukov, J. Zhou, A. Pavlenko, and V. Tumanov, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 126, 297 (2018).
- H. TANAKA, S. HATANO, and S. MARUYAMA, TRANSACTIONS OF THE JAPAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS Series B 52, 4014 (1986).
- K. Nakamura, H. N. Yoshikawa, Y. Tasaka, and Y. Murai, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 923, (2021).
16,024 total views, 7 views today