Problem 15: Boycott Effect
“If particles are suspended in a liquid that has a lower density than the particles, the particles will settle to the bottom of the container. The rate of settling can be affected by tilting the container that holds the liquid. Explain this phenomenon and investigate the effect of relevant parameters.“
I. Phenomenon Demonstration
- Boycott effect (sedimentation) by Fluid Dynamics https://youtu.be/8zjixDxTEN8
- Boycott Effect by Canadian Young Physicists’ Tournament https://youtu.be/i1oA8B83180
- The Boycott Effect by Jadon Pauling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUVwHQ831o
II. Books, Encyclopedia, Discussion and Forum Posts
III. Research Papers
- Xu, Z.-J., Michaelides, E.E., 2005. A Numerical Simulation of the Boycott Effect. Chemical Engineering Communications 192, 532–549.. doi:10.1080/00986440590477971
- Cerny LC, Cerny CL, Cerny EL. The sedimentation potential and the boycott effect. Biorheology. 1988;25(3):503-16. doi: 10.3233/bir-1988-25310. PMID: 3250631.
- Peacock, T., Blanchette, F., Bush, J.W.M., 2005. The stratified Boycott effect. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 529, 33–49.. doi:10.1017/s002211200500337x
- Hill, W. D., R. Rothfus, and Kun. Li. “Boundary-Enhanced Sedimentation Due to Settling Convection: Semantic Scholar.” Semantic Scholar, January 1, 1977. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Boundary-enhanced-sedimentation-due-to-settling-Hill-Rothfus/3685ced8e4ed7af7d5c439103d617feeaa4c4a75.
- Baranets, Vitaliia, and Natalya Kizilova. “Mathematical Modeling of Particle Aggregation and Sedimentation in the Inclined Tubes.” V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University. Ser. Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, no. 90 (December 23, 2019). https://doi.org/10.26565/2221-5646-2019-90-03.
- Palma, Sergio, Christian F. Ihle, and Aldo Tamburrino. “Characterization of a Sediment Layer of Concentrated Fluid-Solid Mixtures in Tilted Ducts at Low Reynolds Numbers.” Powder Technology 325 (February 1, 2018): 192–201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2017.10.053.
- Reyes, Cristian, Christian F. Ihle, Fernando Apaz, and Luis A. Cisternas. “Heat-Assisted Batch Settling of Mineral Suspensions in Inclined Containers.” Minerals 9, no. 4 (2019): 228. https://doi.org/10.3390/min9040228.