Problem 16: Thermoacoustic Engine
“A piston placed in the open end of a horizontal test tube which has its other end partially filled with steel wool may oscillate when the closed end is heated up. Investigate the phenomenon and determine the efficiency of this engine.”
I. Phenomenon Demonstration
- (YouTube, 2016). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owbjLWrC86g
- (YouTube, 2017). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYe1QBK3BE
II. Books, Encyclopedia, Discussion and Forum Posts
- Wikipedia (2022). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoacoustic_heat_engine
III. Research Paper
- C. Olivier, G. Poignand, and G. Pénelet, European Journal of Physics 38, 015101 (2016).
- J. R. Belcher, W. V. Slaton, R. Raspet, H. E. Bass, and J. Lightfoot, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 105, 2677 (1999).
4,534 total views, 4 views today