University of Toronto Mississauga Research Exploration Opportunity
The Research Exploration Opportunity program by the University of Toronto Mississauga STEM Fellowship Branch offers students the unique opportunity to experience cutting-edge research at a University of Toronto Mississauga laboratory. This program will take place for five days during spring break (March 14 – March 18, 2022). Please read the overview of this program, especially the laboratory research descriptions before starting your application. Should you have any questions, please contact the team.
What is the STEM Fellowship Research Exploration Opportunity?
The STEM Fellowship High School Research Exploration Opportunity program will offer high school students, particularly those that come from communities that are traditionally underrepresented in STEM and STEM related fields, with the unique opportunity to experience research at a University of Toronto Mississauga laboratory. This one week program enables students to explore the world of research, be immersed in the process of scientific inquiry, and ask questions about possible paths to this field. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic situation, we are moving forward with an in-person program. All selected students will be required to be fully vaccinated in accordance with the University of Toronto Mississauga’s vaccination protocol. Closer to the program, we will know if masking will be required. All COVID-19 decisions will be made in accordance with the Ontario Government and University of Toronto Mississauga’s mandates at the time of the program. The program will take place over five days during the spring break (March 14 – 18 , 2022). A select number of students will engage in activities including tours of first-class research facilities, introductions to basic techniques/experiments using state-of-the-art equipment, shadowing of lab personnel, and attending lab meetings, seminars and faculty presentations. Students will be mentored one-on-one by graduate students, post-docs or Principal Investigators and will be involved in the hands-on experiments that their mentors are working on. The laboratory research descriptions for the week may be found here (coming soon).
All applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for the program:
- The applicant must be enrolled in a Canadian high school, specifically in Ontario
- The applicant must currently be in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12
- The applicant must demonstrate exceeding interest in STEM research
- The applicant is able to commute 1.5-2 hours to the University of Toronto Mississauga campus, if necessary
- The applicant must complete and submit the application form prior to the application deadline (January 15th, 2022 at 11:59pm)
Laboratory Research Descriptions (Coming Soon!)
- Indigenous or of Indigenous ancestry
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged
- Rural students
- New immigrants
- Racial minority
Note: Self-identification information will not be disclosed to anyone outside of the selection committee under any circumstances.
December 1, 2021
January 17, 2022 (11:59pm EST)
March 14th - 18th, 2022
- Being fully vaccinated and providing the University of Toronto Mississauga STEM Fellowship team and laboratory the student is matched with, with proof of vaccination
- Following all COVID-19 guidelines set forth by the University of Toronto Mississauga at the time of the program; failure to do so will result in removal from the program
- Ensuring availability on a full-time basis during the week of the program
- Reading and responding to all emails sent by the University of Toronto Mississauga STEM Fellowship team and laboratory the student is matched with in a timely manner
- Attending and completing each laboratory activity held throughout the assigned sessions
- Reading any supplemental materials provided by the lab the student is matched with
- Completing any and all wet lab/white room training prior to the start of the week if required by the laboratory the student is matched with
- Completing a feedback survey following the completion of the program
*Selected participants will be contacted by STEM Fellowship prior to the beginning of program week with all additional information needed*
Post-Applications and the Week of the Program:
All applicants will be contacted, regardless of the outcome of their application.
The program week is March 14 – March 18, 2022. Students are required to provide complete availability within regular working hours (8:30am – 5:00pm) and be prepared for potential over-time participation. Students must arrive on time ready to participate and cannot leave the lab activities prior to their conclusion. Failure of arriving on time or leaving the lab activities without permission/early will result in exemption from the program. In the case that the student must arrive late or miss a day of the program, the applicant MUST bring this concern to the STEM Fellowship team as early as possible. This must only occur in an emergency situation.
Conclusion and Acknowledgements
Thank you for choosing to apply to the STEM Fellowship 2022 Research Exploration Opportunity program. All of us at the STEM Fellowship are very much looking forward to reading your applications and potentially meeting you. This opportunity is truly one of a kind, and we feel very grateful to have the ability to host it. We hope you treat it with respect, dignity and utmost eagerness to learn as much as possible. It is incredibly rewarding for us to see young students expand their realms of knowledge and experience, and we are very excited to see our first round of high school students undergo this program. We hope you feel the same way.
Please do not hesitate to contact us via email: email@example.com