STEM Fellowship is a community of students, educators & industry that creates opportunities for peer learning and open science.
Our mission is to create equitable learning opportunities, connections, and experiences for students to develop modern skills for the digital age.
We provide high school and undergraduate students with their first opportunity of scholarly publication, while enabling them to develop scholarly writing skills.
We foster inclusion and diversity in STEM fields by creating mentorship and research opportunities for students from communities traditionally underrepresented in STEM.
We foster future digital citizens through student-driven experiential learning programs in analytics, research, and scholarly communication.
We organize the Canadian Young Physicists’ Tournament which is the qualifier for the International Young Physicists’ Tournament.
STEM Fellowship Journal
We run an open-access, peer-reviewed academic journal, published by Canadian Science Publishing, to enable high school and undergraduate students to showcase their research and join the scholarly communication community.
Scholarly Writing Challenge (SWC)
Our high school ambassadors promote our initiatives, represent our organization at community events, and provide feedback on our initiatives to contribute to the development of the organization.
STEMpowerment Research Exploration Opportunity
REO provides high school students from communities traditionally underrepresented in STEM with the opportunity to conduct STEM research in a university lab
Our mentorship program offers free peer academic support and career guidance to youth who are members of communities traditionally underrepresented in STEM.
Our Big Data Challenge enables students to develop skills in data analytics, problem-solving, and critical thinking while using technology to address socioeconomic and environmental issues in their communities.
Our 22 university branches act as local representatives of the national STEM Fellowship team and hold networking events, competitions, career talks, and workshops tailored for the students attending the respective institution.
High School Chapters Program
As a STEM Fellowship Chapter, you will open your own Club and develop leadership skills under Undergraduate supervision of the STEM Fellowship national team. Your High School will have multiple opportunities for immersing in unique STEM-oriented Learning and Application skills centred on Data analytics, student webinars and Scientific research and many other domains.
Big Data Challenge
Students in 2020
Students since inception
Scholarly Writing Challenge
Submissions Received in 2019
Research Exploration Opportunity
Applications Received in Past 3 Years
Student Placements Offered
University Students in Past 3 Years
The 2018 STEM Fellowship Big Data Challenge was an incredible experience. The Challenge helped me develop skills in the field of analytics, and taught me the importance of big data in the modern world; the mentorships, online training, and connections I received were invaluable. If you are a high school student, I would highly recommend participating in this incredible program – you won’t regret it! I am endlessly grateful to have had the chance to participate.
Being an intern at an actual lab was, as expected, a genuinely life-changing experience. It changed my entire opinion on university, my expectations from a potential career in academia, and most importantly, how much respect I have for people working in research. It provided me with an exclusive sneak-peak of research work, and I will be using everything I learned here to make more informed decisions about my own career. I would like to sincerely thank the members of McMillen lab for making my March Break as rewarding as possible.
I have always found a love for both biology and coding, and the shadowing program has shown me how a job in research could integrate these two sectors together. This is something that I would never had known if it weren’t for this program. What made this internship great was seeing intelligent people from all around the world gathering to the University of Toronto for a united goal of exploring the realms of science. This internship has sparked a greater passion for research in me, and I might be one of the mentors one day, looking to pass the baton to the future generations.
Participating in this internship organized by STEM Fellowship has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. One of my favorite aspects of this internship was being able to talk with a variety of people in various stages in their medical research career. I was able to inquire about the different possible career paths that each person took, and learn more about the different opportunities within this field. In particular, I was able to talk a lot with undergraduate students employed at this lab and received lots of helpful advice about university applications.
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
University of Toronto Branch
Western University Branch
University of Calgary Branch
McGill University Branch
Dalhousie University Branch
University of Manitoba Branch
University of Saskatchewan Branch
University of Waterloo Branch
University of Victoria Branch
University of Alberta Branch
University of British Columbia Branch
Queen's University Branch
McMaster University Branch
University of Guelph Branch
University of New Brunswick Branch
York University Branch
University of Toronto Mississauga Branch
Ryerson University Branch
Memorial University of Newfoundland Branch
St. Francis Xavier University Branch
Concordia University Branch
Simon Fraser University Branch
- University of British Columbia – Vancouver, BC
- Simon Fraser University – Burnaby, BC
- University of Calgary – Calgary AB
- University of Alberta – Edmonton, AB
- University of Saskatchewan – Saskatoon, SK
- University of Manitoba – Winnipeg, MB
- University of Guelph – Guelph, ON
- McMaster University – Hamilton, ON
- Queen’s University – Kingston, ON
- Western University – London, ON
- University of Waterloo – Waterloo, ON
- Ryerson University – Toronto, ON
- University of Toronto St. George Campus – Toronto, ON
- University of Toronto Mississauga – Mississauga, ON
- York University – Toronto, ON
- Concordia University – Montreal, QC
- McGill University – Montreal, QC
- University of New Brunswick – Fredricton, NB
- St. Francis Xavier University – Antigonish, NS
- Dalhousie University – Halifax, NS
- Memorial University of Newfoundland – St. John’s, NL
High School Chapters
Holy Trinity Academy
Henry Wise Wood High School | Calgary Board of Education
Sir Winston Churchill High School | Calgary Board of Education
Abbey Park High School
Sir John A Macdonald Collegiate Institute
Upper Canada College
Westmount Charter School
Nelson Mandela High School
Sentinel Secondary School
Old Scona Academic
Torrey Pines High School
James Fowler High School
Bloor Collegiate Institute
Hillfield Strathallan College
Victoria Park Collegiate Institute
St. Joseph's Catholic High School
Earl Haig Secondary School
Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute
Cardinal Léger Secondary School
Glenforest Secondary School
The Woodlands Secondary
- Bloor Collegiate Institute – Toronto, Ontario
- Hillfield Strathallan College – Hamilton, Ontario
- Crescent School – Toronto, Ontario
- Sir John A MacDonald CI – Toronto, Ontario
- Victoria Park Collegiate Institute – Toronto, Ontario
- Earl Haig Secondary School – Toronto, Ontario
- St. Joseph’s Catholic High School – Barrie, Ontario
- Abbey Park High School – Oakville, Ontario
- Upper Canada College – Toronto, Ontario
- Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute – Toronto, Ontario
- Cardinal Léger Secondary School – Brampton, Ontario
- St. Robert – Thornhill, Ontario
- Glenforest Secondary School – Mississauga, Ontario
- Agincourt CI – Toronto, Ontario
- The Woodlands Secondary – Mississauga, Ontario
- Westdale Secondary – Hamilton, Ontario
- Westmount Charter School – Calgary, Alberta
- Nelson Mandela High School – Calgary, Alberta
- Sentinel Secondary School – West Vancouver, British Columbia
- Henry Wise Wood High School – Calgary, Alberta
- Sir Winston Churchill High School – Calgary, Alberta
- Holy Trinity Academy – Okotoks, Alberta
- Webber Academy – Calgary, Alberta
- Old Scona Academic – Edmonton, Alberta
- Torrey Pines High School – San Diego, California
- James Fowler High School – Calgary, Alberta